'Every Member Ministry' with Tony Payne
This is a special edition of The Pastor's Heart, linked to this month's national Australian ministry conference, Nexus, on to the topic of 'Every Member Ministry.'
Tony points out that despite the philosophy of every member ministry dominating our practice for decades, there are no theological books on the subject, and have been no conferences up till now.
As I was chairing the Nexus platform last week it was clear we had a large number of questions submitted by delegates from ministers at each of the twenty live sites taking the conference around Australia.
So instead of putting my questions on this week's The Pastor's Heart, I’ll be putting some of the left over questions submitted by conference participants to Tony.
Some of the submitted questions we will put to Tony include:
* You said Ephesians 4:12 doesn’t mean what you think it means. Why doesn’t Ephesians 4:12 mean what I think it means? (Leah Gorring)
* What is the great comma controversy of 1971 that you referred to?
* Speaking the word of God to edify each other is clearly significant but Is there a danger of flattening out every member ministry to simply equate with every member speech? Could "every member love" be a better balanced idea? cf 1 John 3:18 (Bryson Smith)
* Is prophecy future oriented? Agabus the prophet in Acts twice helps the church with future-oriented speech (Albury livesite).
* Is there a chance that our approach to every member word ministry favours ministry to more well-educated, middle class Christians? Have you though about how this works with those less educated or those from other cultures that prefer a more teacher-student dynamic of learning? (Tom Habib)
* What implications has your research on individual word ministry to other Christians have for evangelism? Especially what reflection have you done on the debate about what expectation there is for the everyday Christian to speak the word to non Christians?
* How does the One-To-Many and One-Another distinction play out in evangelism? (Tom Habib)
* Could you comment on 1 Cor 14:30 and the sense of the word revelation? (David Coy)
* Small groups already do much in life of church - pastoral care, maturing believers and... what will we say no to to include the training you speak of? (Scott Sanders)
* I heard you say that Don Carson is wrong in his understanding of what elders weighing the prophecy means in 1 Corinthians 14. Could you elaborate please?
Check out The Pastor's Heart archive at www.thepastorsheart.com